PTE exam preparation involves many aspects, and you need to be aware of all the crucial details about the PTE...Read More
Mastering PTE Reading Strategies, Tests, and Tips.
The Pearson Test of English (PTE) is a widely recognised and accepted English language proficiency test. It assesses non-native English speakers for their English skills. The Reading section holds significant importance among its various sections as it evaluates a candidate's ability to comprehend and interpret written English. The PTE Reading practice is crucial for achieving a desirable score and realising your academic or professional goals.
Introduction: Why your PTE Reading practice must be Rigorous
The PTE Reading test assesses your reading skills in an academic context. It consists of several task types, such as multiple-choice, reorder paragraphs, and fill in the blanks, all of which evaluate your ability to understand and analyse written texts. This section includes both single and multiple passages, covering a range of topics from various academic disciplines, making it a comprehensive assessment of your reading abilities.
The PTE Reading practice is vital for several reasons:
- Scoring Impact: Your performance in the Reading section contributes significantly to your overall PTE score. A high score in this section can compensate for lower scores in other sections, enhancing your chances of achieving your desired overall score.
- Academic and Professional Goals: Many universities, colleges, and employers worldwide require PTE scores for admission or hiring decisions. A strong Reading section score can make you a more competitive applicant.
- Comprehensive Language Skills: Success in the Reading section reflects not only your reading abilities but also your overall language proficiency, including vocabulary, comprehension, and critical thinking skills. These skills are valuable in every field of life.
- Time Management: Effective preparation helps you manage your time efficiently during the test. The PTE Reading section has a strict time limit, and adequate practice can help you become proficient at answering questions quickly and accurately.
Follow the strategies to prepare for the PTE Reading mock test :
- Understand the Task Types: Familiarise yourself with the different task types in the Reading section. Each task type requires a specific approach, so knowing what to expect is essential.
- Expand Your Vocabulary: A strong vocabulary is crucial for understanding and answering questions. Regularly practise and learn new words in context.
- Practice Regularly: Consistent PTE Reading practice with authentic PTE Reading materials, including sample questions and full-length practice tests, is critical to improving your skills.
- Improve Reading Speed: Work on increasing your reading speed without compromising comprehension. Practice reading a variety of texts to become more efficient.
- Take Notes: Develop effective note-taking strategies to help you recall critical information from the passages.
- Time Management: Practice time management to complete all questions within the allocated time.
- Seek Feedback: Consider working with a tutor or using online resources that provide feedback on your performance. Constructive feedback can help you identify and address weaknesses.
Understanding the PTE Reading Section
Attempting the updated PTE Reading test with answers is essential to practise PTE Reading online. Below is a comprehensive explanation of PTE Reading questions. Part 2 of the PTE tests your reading skills.
Your understanding of the given texts gets assessed.
The time given to this section is 32-40 minutes. Its subparts are
PTE Reading Fill in the blanks:
- It is an integrated section with writing also included.
- You are given a text on the screen with blanks.
- You are to drag and drop words given in a box into the space provided.
- The text can be up to 300 words long, testing your reading skills.
PTE Reading Multiple-choice questions, choose multiple answers:
- A text will appear on your screen. You will read the text and answer MCQ based on it.
- The text can be up to 300 words, and this task tests your reading skill.
- You get text boxes placed randomly. You are to arrange them in a precise order.
- The text can be up to 150 words, testing your reading abilities.
Reading: Fill in the blanks:
- This task is similar to the first task.
- The text will have up to 80 words. It assesses your reading skills.
Multiple-choice, choose single answer:
- It is similar to task 2.
- The text will not exceed 300 words; the tasks evaluate your reading ability.
PTE Reading Practice Strategies: What you Need to do to Score High?
Edulyte’s team of PTE associates has crafted techniques you require for each task in the reading section and the entire Reading section. Use these PTE exam reading tips when attempting a PTE Academic Reading practice test.
It might sound like a sports team’s strategy name for winning a match. But this is one mantra you should stick to for the PTE Reading prep. Skim and Scan. Glance through the passage. Look for important words and phrases. These keywords hold the key to scoring well. Understand what they are trying to convey. Words used more than once mean you should elaborate on them or base your response on them.
Build your thesaurus
We read a few new words. Repeat them a few times with dedication. And then stop. This isn’t the right way to score in the PTE Academic. Constant reading and building your word bank are necessary. Your speaking and writing skills will also benefit from this.
Grab any text and read as each topic has its own words.
You can even develop your thesaurus. First, jot down any new word or phrase on your phone, laptop, or notebook. Then, look for its meaning/ synonyms/ antonyms. Remember, better words= better scores.
Take stock of time.
We know this, yet we do not give it due importance. Time should be of priority from the time you start your prep until you finish the test. The entire reading segment has to take less than 32-40 minutes.
Time yourself while taking the practice tests. During the exam, allocate more time to Fill in the Blanks: Reading and Writing, which carries more marks.
Read once. Read twice
You would want to run through the text and start answering the questions, especially while reading multiple-choice questions in PTE. And it sure is difficult not to give in to this temptation. Avoid doing so. Read once to go through the text. Then, read the second time slower to figure out the idea it expresses. You will be able to answer the questions well, following this mantra.
Work on your weaknesses
Not sure how to build your vocab, finding it challenging to look for keywords, unable to time yourself well? Work on them. Constant practice and proper guidance can help you. Affordable PTE prep classes are available online to assist you in your PTE Academic prep. One platform pioneering in this field with affordable courses is Edulyte.
Its unparalleled courses and classes look into detecting your weaknesses, devising strategies to overcome them, and developing your capability to perform exceptionally well. Edulyte’s PTE trainers provide you with personalised one-on-one or group classes for PTE Academic preparation, including PTE Reading questions and answers.
Recommended PTE Reading Practice Materials
You can utilise various online sources, books, and practice resources to prepare effectively for the PTE Reading section. Many offer PTE reading test online. Many platforms provide PTE Reading practice PDFs and PTE Reading practice test with answers.
Here’s a list of reliable options to help you get started
- Pearson PTE Official Website: The official PTE website offers a range of free practice materials, including sample questions, scored practice tests, and tips for each section, including Reading.
- Edulyte: Our platform is leading in terms of customised training provided for PTE and IELTS. You get access to inexhaustible resources and sample papers with us.
The PTE Reading material includes :
- Official Guide to PTE Academic: Published by Pearson, the “Official Guide to PTE Academic” is a comprehensive book that includes practice questions and valuable tips for all PTE sections, including Reading.
- Barron’s PTE Academic: Barron’s PTE Academic (by Richard L. King) is a widely used preparation book that features practice tests and exercises tailored for the PTE exam.
- PTE Academic Expert: “PTE Academic Expert” (by Pearson) is another helpful book designed to help you prepare for the PTE exam. It includes practice tests, sample questions, and skill-building exercises for Reading and other sections.
PTE Reading Score Chart
While you may not get a specific PTE Reading score chart, below is how your scores in PTE will be assessed.
Level of Proficiency
PTE Reading Module Breakdown
The PTE Reading module assesses your ability to understand and interpret written English in an academic context. The Reading module in PTE consists of several different components or task types, each designed to evaluate specific reading skills. Here are the main features of the PTE Reading module:
Multiple-Choice, Choose Single Answer:
- In this task, you’ll read a passage and answer a multiple-choice question.
- You must select the one correct answer from the options provided.
- This task assesses your ability to comprehend the main ideas, details, and inferences from the text.
Multiple-Choice, Choose Multiple Answers:
- Similar to the first task, you read a passage and answer multiple-choice questions.
- In this case, you may need to select multiple correct answers from the options.
- This task evaluates your ability to identify multiple correct responses based on the passage.
- You are presented with a jumbled set of paragraphs from a text.
- Your task is to rearrange these paragraphs correctly to recreate the original text.
- This task assesses your understanding of coherence and the logical flow of ideas in a passage.
Reading: Fill in the Blanks:
- In this task, you encounter a passage with several blanks.
- You must choose the most appropriate words or phrases from a dropdown menu to fill in the blanks.
- It evaluates your ability to understand context and use vocabulary in the proper context.
Reading and Writing: Fill in the Blanks:
- Similar to the previous task, you fill in the blanks in a passage with appropriate words or phrases.
- In this task, your answers may be longer, and you are expected to demonstrate your writing skills in addition to reading comprehension.
Summarise Written Text:
- In this task, you read a passage and then write a summary of the text in one sentence.
- You need to convey the main idea and key points concisely.
- It assesses your ability to extract essential information from a text.
Reading: Multiple-Choice, Reorder Paragraphs:
- This task combines elements of the multiple-choice and reorder-paragraph tasks.
- You read a series of jumbled paragraphs that need to be reordered.
- Additionally, you answer multiple-choice questions related to the paragraphs.
- It assesses both your comprehension and organisational skills.
Reading: Fill in the Blanks (Reading & Writing):
- This task combines the fill in the blanks and writing components.
- You fill in the blanks in a passage, and your responses may be longer, requiring reading and writing skills.
PTE Exam Sample Papers for Reading
Practice is what will get you your desired score in PTE. And Edulyte is here to give you all the help you need. We also offer PTE exam sample papers for Reading and other sections of the PTE exam. You get a thorough PTE reading practice with explanation for answers with our PTE sample papers.
PTE Reading Fill in the Blanks
You can commence your PTE Reading practice right here! Attempt the PTE Reading Fill in the Blanks practice tasks given.
Some words are missing in the text given below. Make the right choice of words from the box below and place them in appropriate places.
Stars are ________ in astronomy as the most universally recognised celestial objects. They serve as the fundamental building blocks within galaxies. The age, arrangement, and _______ of stars within a galaxy provide insights into the historical, _________, and evolutionary aspects of that galaxy. Furthermore, stars play a ________ role in creating and __________ substantial elements like carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. Additionally, the characteristics of stars are closely linked to the characteristics of potential _______ systems that may form around them. As a result, the ______ of the birth, lifespan, and eventual ______ of stars holds significant importance in the realm of astronomy.
Some words are missing in the text given below. Make the right choice of words from the box below and place them in appropriate places.
Crucially, Darwin’s _______ extended beyond merely asserting organisms’ evolution. Had his theory been _______ to this aspect, he might not have earned the ________ place he holds in today’s textbooks. Instead, Darwin introduced a ________ for evolution, known as natural selection. This mechanism possessed an inherent _______ and logic, explaining how populations could gradually ______ (experience descent with modification). It elucidated how, over time, these ________ could better adapt to their ________.
Get access to such questions and more!
PTE Reading Multiple Choice Questions
Get an insight into the type of question you get in the PTE Reading Multiple Choice Questions task.
Read the text and answer the question by selecting the correct responses. More than one response is correct
In southwest France in the 1940s, some children, while playing, discovered Lascaux Grotto, a series of narrow cave chambers containing huge prehistoric animal paintings. Many of these beasts are as large as 16 feet (almost 5 metres). Some follow each other in a solemn parade, but others move sideways and upside down. The animals are bulls, wild horses, reindeer and mammoths outlined with charcoal, mainly painted in reds, yellows, and browns. Scientific analysis reveals that the colours are derived from ochre and other iron oxides ground into a fine powder. The methods of applying colour varied: some were brushed or smeared on rick surfaces, while others were blown or sprayed. It is possible that the tubes were made from animal bones and used for spraying. It can be deducted by the hollow bones, some stained with pigment, found there.
What is the significance of the bones discovered in the Lascaux caves?
- They were the subjects the artists painted.
- Artists painted pictures on bones.
- Artists grounded them into a fine powder to make paint.
- Artists developed special techniques to paint the walls.
Read the text and answer the question by selecting the correct responses. More than one response is correct.
Plants have opportunist species and competitor species. The competitor organisms tend to have big bodies, are long-lived and spend relatively little effort each year on reproduction. An oak tree is an excellent example of a competitor. Its leaves taste foul because they are rich in tannins, making them distasteful or indigestible for many organisms. The tannins are essential for longevity. Oaks produce thousands of acorns. But the energy spent on acorns is small compared to the energy consumed on building leaves, trunks and roots. Once an oak tree is established, it will likely survive minor droughts and even fire cycles.
Which of the following are mentioned in the paragraph as contributing to the longevity of oaks?
- The capacity to grow tall.
- Its leaves have an organic substance called tannin.
- Their ability to withstand mild droughts and fire
- The energy spent on producing a large number of acorns.
- The ability to grow fast.
Go through our PTE packages here for the complete PTE reading full mock test with answers.
PTE Tutorials : Fast-Track to Your Top Score !
Master PTE: Dive in for success!
Download Your PDF on 5 Common Mistakes & How to Avoid Them
Avoid common PTE pitfalls with our free guide! Get actionable tips to elevate your score—Download now!
Frequently Asked Questions
In the PTE Reading section, you will get:
- Reading & Writing: Fill in the blanks
- Multiple-choice: choose multiple answers
- Re-order paragraphs
- Reading: Fill in the blanks
- Multiple-choice, choose single answer
Level of Proficiency
Yes, there are! In fact, you can go through the updated sample papers on Edulyte’s platform.
- Read regularly and do not confine your reading to a couple of topics.
- Develop your own thesaurus.
- Read the text and options thoroughly
- Re-check your answers
We have mentioned tips and tricks to improve your reading skills for the PTE exam. We recommend that you register for our updated PTE Sample Papers and Sign up for PTE training classes for great PTE scores.
And this is a trying question asked by anyone who wants to take an English proficiency test.
While both the PTE (Pearson Test for English),and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) claim to be the gold standard for English language tests, you can zero in on which test you wish to attempt depending on why you are attempting the test.
The PTE is divided into 3 segments:
- Speaking and Writing
Of course, you can. With the appropriate assistance, course material, dedication and hard work, you can attain a 79+ score on your first PTE attempt.
The frequency of your practice for the PTE (Pearson Test of English) exam depends on various factors, including your current English proficiency level, your target score, and the amount of time you have until your test date.
- Consistency is Key: Regular practice is essential for improving your skills and maintaining progress.
- Daily Practice: If possible, consider practising a little every day. Short, focused practice sessions are often more effective than longer ones.
- Target at Least 1-2 Hours a Day: Aim to dedicate at least 1-2 hours of focused practice each day.
- Intensive Study Periods: As your test date approaches, you may want to increase your practice frequency and duration.
PTE Tips: Expertly Crafted Guides for You
Dive into our PTE Tutorials, each package meticulously designed to align with distinct learner goals and preferences, ensuring you’re always on the right track.